In 1814, Brake set up its first council, Amt Brake. In 1846, the telegraph was set up to relay shipping news between Bremen and Bremerhaven.In 1848-52 Brake was the first base of the German Imperial Fleet under Admiral Karl Rudolf Brommy, the first ever commander of a unified German fleet.Moreover, railway lines leading to Nordenham and Oldenburg/Bremen fill out the city's transport connections.
Seat distribution Brake's landmark is the "Telegraph", built in 1846 under the Oldenburg Grand Duke Paul Friedrich August as an integral part of an optical telegraph line between Bremen and Bremerhaven.Since 1960, the headquarters of the Shipping Museum of the Oldenburg Weser ports has housed exhibition pieces of the "Telegraph" on seven floors in all, which stand as a valuable document in the shipping history of Oldenburg's Lower Weser area.In 1873 came Brake's connection to the railway network. In 1936 – the National Socialists had taken power in Germany by this time – the Admiral Brommy Barracks were built for the German Navy.The barracks were not destroyed in World War II, so the buildings could be used as home for refugees from the former Eastern provinces of Germany. In 1972 the Culture and Sport Centre with its city swimming pool and great sports hall came into service.However, since cyclists and pedestrians may not use the tunnel, and since the ferry service across the river Weser was cut back after the tunnel's opening, those on bicycles or on foot suffer a distinct disadvantage to their mobility in the region.
The term "Brake" first cropped up in the 14th century when an unsealed break in a dike led to flooding in the Harrier area.At the Admiral Brommy Barracks built in 1936, seamen and junior officers were readied for duty on board ship.After the war, it was primarily here that conscripts in the so-called "Heizerberufen" ("fireman conscripts") underwent basic training.In 1974, building began on the District Professional School Centre (Kreisberufsschulzentrum), and the communities of Golzwarden and Schmalenfleth were amalgamated into Brake.In 1996, the Admiral Brommy Barracks were closed and most buildings were broke down to get a new area for the harbour expansion. Three groupings are represented on Brake City Council, the Social Democratic Party of Germany/Unabhängige Wählergemeinschaft (non-aligned citizens' coalition) or SDP/UWG, the Christian Democratic Union/Free Democratic Party or CDU/FDP, and a WGB (Wählergemeinschaft Brake or Brake Voters' Community) faction.On , Brake was raised to city, and furthermore Golzwarden and Hammelwarden were becoming established as communities (from 1913 onwards becoming parts of the City of Brake).